A Complete Guide to Changing Address in Aadhaar Card!
Aadhar, the largest biometric identification system in the world, provides the citizens of India with a unique 12-digit number linked to their biometrics. It also serves as your identity and address proof as well. As the Government of India has linked most of its services and benefits to Aadhar card, it is all the more important to make sure that your biometric and demographic details are accurate and updated. If there is a discrepancy in your Aadhar card and the actual information, you might be ineligible for various government benefits and schemes.
How to Change Address in Aadhar Card?
Since Aadhar card serves as a legitimate address proof, you must ensure that the address details are up-to-date and correct. Failing to do so can lead to inconveniences since most of the business and financial dealings in India are now implementing the KYC process of verification, consisting of identity and address verification, where the unique Aadhar card plays a vital role.
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has adopted measures to protect people from such problems. They have brought into use a set of procedures that would act as a backup for those who need to adjust/modify their personal credentials on their Aadhar cards. Aadhar cardholders can update or change details online or visit the nearest Aadhar enrolment centre, or request an address change/update by post.
How to Change Address in Aadhar Card Online?
Aadhar card address correction online is much simpler and easier. It is also a timesaving procedure contrary to the offline methods. However, understand that only those who have verified their mobile numbers on the Aadhar platform can modify their details online because this method uses an OTP verification process. For verification, a 4-digit one-time password (OTP) is sent to the registered mobile number. If you have a verified phone number then you can use the Aadhar SSUP (self service update portal) and update your details, such as address, name, DOB, e-mail address, and mobile number.
The steps for Aadhar card address correction online are:
• Log on to the UIDAI official website.
• Select the ‘Update Your Aadhar’ section and click on the ‘Update address online’ link.
• Enter your Aadhar number and the captcha code on the next page, and click on the ‘send OTP’ button. You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP when prompted – you will be redirected to your Aadhar card update portal.
• Choose the demographic information that you wish to change/update – in this case, the address.
• While entering the updated information, make sure that the details are correct. Also, check for discrepancies in any other information on your Aadhar card. If there is a need to change any information regarding the post office, district, state, pin code, etc., contact the UIDAI help desk.
• Once you have entered and checked your address and other details, click on the ‘Submit’ button – this will generate an update request number (URN). Note the URN down, as you will need it later to check your Aadhar card update status.
• Next, you will be provided with an option to choose a BPO for your request.
• Then, you will be needed to upload self-attested and scanned copies of the required documents, as mentioned on the website.
You can download the acknowledgement copy once the procedure is done. It usually takes a couple of business days for the updated results to be reflected. You can check your status using the URN. On approval of your request, you will receive the updated Aadhar card via mail.
Aadhar Card Correction through Enrolment Centre
For those who do not have access to computers or Internet connection, you can simply visit an Aadhar enrolment centre near your place and change your address details. Here is a detailed guide on how to change address on Aadhar card at an enrolment centre:
• Visit the UIDAI portal to look up and locate an enrolment centre close to your place. You need not make an appointment prior to your visit.
• Carry all your original documents, as mentioned on the portal.
• The operator will verify the details, and if your documents are in order, he/she will proceed with the procedure.
• The operator will enter your details in the server, scan the documents, and take your biometrics if needed.
• After the procedure is completed, you will receive an acknowledgement receipt featuring the URN.
• You can track the status of your update on the UIDAI portal with the URN.
• You will receive an updated copy of the Aadhar at your address within a few working days, provided all your documents are in order.
How to Change Address on Aadhar Card through Post?
You can also get your address on Aadhar card changed or updated by requesting for the same through the post. The procedure follows the steps mentioned below:
• Visit the UIDAI portal/official website.
• Download the ‘Aadhar Address Update/Change Form’.
• Fill in the address details that you want to change or update.
• Get photocopies of all the documents needed to verify the changes you have requested for in the form.
• Along with all your documents, send the form to the postal address mentioned on the official website for your respective zone.
Whichever way you choose, remember, it is best to keep all the details on your Aadhar card updated and accurate. Getting the data and information correct is extremely important. Otherwise, you might not be entitled to receive several benefits offered by the Indian government. With the help of the online portal, enrolment centres, and help desks, the process of updating the address on Aadhar card has become very convenient.