A Step by Step Guide To Aadhaar Card Name Correction
As one of the most important documents of identification for Indians, Aadhar card includes a unique 12-digit identification number along with your name, birth date, address, telephone number, marital status, etc. The Indian government initially conceived the Aadhar scheme to fix leakages in various assistance schemes for the poor. At present, it is a handy identification document that reduces the hassle of carrying multiple documents like passport, voter ID, ration cards, PAN cards, and driving licenses. Moreover, in the Union Budget 2019, the government has announced that you can now file your income tax returns through your Aadhar card if you do not have a PAN card. Therefore, it is very important that you keep all your personal details updated in your Aadhar card.
In this article, we will focus on the different steps you will need to follow for changing your name on Aadhar card.
How to change name in Aadhar card?
You can change your name on Aadhar card online and offline. Let’s learn in detail about the same.
Aadhar card name correction online: You can change your name on Aadhar card online only if you have a valid mobile number registered with Aadhar. This is necessary because the process requires you to enter a one-time password (OTP), which will be sent to your mobile number from the Aadhar portal. Further, if you are using the online SSUP (self service update portal), you can change other details such as address, date of birth and mobile number.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
• Go to the official website of self service update portal.
• Login to the portal with your Aadhar number.
• Submit a request for your Aadhar card name correction.
• Upload the scanned and self-attested document of your proof of identity.
• You will receive an OTP to verify if your number is registered.
• Once your request for the name change is submitted, you will be given an Aadhar card update request number. This is to track the status of your request.
Notably, the entire process is free of cost.
Aadhar card name correction through enrolment centres: In addition to the online method, you can also visit the nearest Aadhar enrolment centre to change the name on your Aadhar card.
In this case, the steps you need to follow are:
• You first need to fill up the correction form.
• Mention the new name that you want on the card.
• Submit the form along with the photocopies of your identification proof.
• You have to carry original documents along with their copies. They will be scanned and returned to you.
• The official will register your request for altering the Aadhar card name and give you an acknowledgement slip.
Another advantage of this process is that along with your name and other details like gender, email ID, and phone number, you can get your biometric data changed as well.
Turnaround time for Aadhar card name correction
According to the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), it takes 90 days to get the details updated. At first, your request for changing the Aadhar card name is verified by a UIDAI executive. Once the request is approved, you will be able to download the soft copy of your Aadhar card by visiting the UIDAI website. Download the e-Aadhar card by clicking on the Download Aadhar option. Furthermore, you can visit your local Aadhar enrolment centre to obtain a soft copy of the Aadhar card. Notably, in case of a change in name, residential address, date of birth and gender, the Aadhar letter with the updates will be sent to your given address.
Documents required for changing Aadhar card name
• PAN card
• Voter identification card
• Ration card or PDS photo card
• NREGS job card
• PSU service photo identification card
• Photo identification from a recognized educational institution like your school or college
• Driving license
• Arms license
• Pensioner photo card
• ATM card with photo
• Credit card with photo
• Marriage certificate
• CHGS card with photo
• Freedom fighter photo card
• Kisan photo passbook
• Photo card of ECHS
• Document issued originally by the marriage registrar that contains a proof of marriage
• Residing address card that has a photo and name issued by the Department of Posts
• Identity certificate issued by the tehsildar or the gazetted officer that contains name and photo
• A disability identification card or handicapped certificate
Things to consider while changing Aadhar card details
You should keep the following things in mind while changing your Aadhar card details to avoid any problem later on:
• Make sure you enter the correct information while altering the details. Also, submit the appropriate documents.
• Always fill in the details in English or the local language.
• For an online change in name, make sure you have a registered mobile number.
• Keep the update request number safely with you to track the status of your request later.
• Enter the information in capital letters in the correction form.
• Do not use any courtesy or professional titles when you enter the name of the concerned person.
• When the corrected Aadhar card is sent to the mentioned address, make sure you are there to receive it.
• All the documents you are attaching as identification proof must be self-attested.
• Fill in all the details of the form without skipping any cell.
In case your request for changing the Aadhar card name is rejected due to some issues, you can always file a fresh request. So keep the pointers mentioned above in mind to ensure the whole process is glitch-free.