Your Aadhaar card is perhaps the most important identity proof issued by the Government. The unique Aadhaar card features biometric as well as demographic data of the cardholder, and is used in almost all kinds of services, including the following –
• A commonly accepted form of ID proof
• Used in MNREGA scheme – wages of the workers are directly credited to their account
• Mandatory for verification of SIM card, bank account/ Demat account opening
• Mandatory for investment with a public financial institution
• Mandatory for LPG gas connection
Considering these points, it goes without saying that all the details in your Aadhaar card should be filled in correctly and should be always updated. However, there may be situations when you might have to update some information or change photo in your existing Aadhaar card.
Initially, Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) allowed individuals to update/change their address, name and photograph in Aadhaar card online. However, now, the online procedure remains exclusively for address change. Any other changes that need to be made in the Aadhaar – name, DOB, email address, mobile number and photograph – are done offline.
There are two ways by which Aadhar card photo change can be carried out – first, by visiting an enrolment centre; second, by applying for the photo change through the post.
How to Change Photo in Aadhar Card through an Enrolment Centre:
You can follow the steps mentioned below to change your photo in Aadhaar card –
• You will personally have to visit an Aadhaar enrolment centre nearby.
• Fill in the form carefully providing all your demographic details. You will be charged a nominal fee for the form.
• Submit the form to the executive present at the centre.
• You will have to go through biometric verification again. Your fingerprints and retina scan and photograph will be taken again at the centre.
• These are sent to the UIDAI head office. It takes about 10-15 working days for the new Aadhaar card, with your updated picture, to arrive.
You will receive an acknowledgement slip featuring a URN, which you can use to check your Aadhaar card update status. With cases of fraudulence being reported all the time, you ought to be safe. Therefore, make sure you visit an authorized enrolment centre.
How to Change Photo in Aadhar Card through Post
Alternately, if you are unable to visit the enrolment centre and submit the form in person, you can write to the regional office of UIDAI to get your photograph in the Aadhaar card changed. The steps involved in the procedure are quite simple –
• Go to the UIDAI portal and click on the ‘Aadhaar card update correction’ form to download the same.
• Fill in your demographic details.
• Write an application addressed to the UIDAI regional office, requesting for photo change. Send the form along with your application.
• Attach a self-attested copy of your recent photograph along with the updated form and the application.
• Send these documents via post to UIDAI Regional Office on the address given in the official website of UIDAI for your respective zone.
• You will receive your updated Aadhaar card with changed photograph within two weeks of submitting your request.
Keeping in mind these points on how to change photo in Aadhar card can help you understand both the procedures, thereby making it easier for you.
Important Points to Remember concerning Aadhaar Card Update
• You need not produce any document when requesting photo change in Aadhaar card.
• There is no need for you to carry photographs to the enrolment centre. The executive present at the centre will click your photograph on the spot using a webcam.
• In some cases, it may take as long as 90 days to get the details updated in Aadhaar.
• You can check your status for Aadhaar update using the Update Request Number (URN), which is provided in the acknowledgement slip.
• Photograph in Aadhaar card cannot be changed online through SSUP.
Changing photograph in Aadhaar card is as important as updating demographic details like name, DOB and address. Now that you know how to change photo on Aadhar card, going through the process will not be difficult for you. Still, if you have queries or doubts regarding the procedure, you can call the UIDAI help desk to seek assistance.