PAN Card is a document of identification, which is issued by the Income Tax Department, Government of India. It comprises a 10-digit alphanumeric ID that is unique for every individual. All the information relating to income tax is stored through it. Today, it is considered to be one of the most reliable proofs of identity in India. The concept of PAN was introduced in 1972. It remains valid throughout a person’s life.
Who all are eligible to apply for a PAN Card?
Every individual or company of trust who pays taxes is eligible for a PAN card. It can be issued to-
· Hindu Undivided Families or HUF
· Tax-paying Non-Resident Indians
When does the PAN Card become necessary?
A PAN card has slowly become an all-purpose identity card. Initially, it was used as a card that keeps a record of tax information, but today, it has several other uses:
· As a fool proof ID card
· For opening a new bank account
· Used while applying for a credit card or a loan
· Needed when selling or purchasing any immovable property worth INR 5 lakh or more · For paying restaurant bills exceeding INR 25,000
· For sale or purchase of a vehicle
· Required to make bank deposits of INR 50,000 or more
What do you need when applying for PAN Card?
These are the documents that you will require when you are applying for a PAN card-
Individuals: Proof of identity, such as Aadhaar, Passport, Voter’s ID card or a driving license.
Hindu Undivided Family: An affidavit of the Hindu Undivided family along with the identity proof
A Company: Certificate of Registration issued by the Registrar of Firms or Limited Liability Partnerships and Partnership Deed.
A Trust: A photocopy of the Certificate of Registration Number (issued by a Charity Commissioner) or Trust Deed.
Society: A copy of the Certificate of Registration Number issued by Registrar of Co-operative Society.
Foreign Nationals: Copies of their passport, Proof of Identity, Overseas Citizen of India proof that is issued by the Indian Government, a bank statement from their country, an NRE bank statement. Once a PAN card is issued, it can be used for many purposes.
But sometimes, people move into a new city or state or place. That is when their earlier PAN card becomes essentially useless. They are required for changing the address on their PAN card.
The following steps explain how to change address in PAN card:
· First, you have to visit the official NSDL website.
· Scroll till you come to ‘application type’
· When you click on it, you will get a drop-down menu
· Don’t be confused by the options. Since you want to make changes to your existing PAN card, click on the third option, ‘changes or correction in existing PAN Data’
· Now you will get a form, which you are required to fill with details such as name, father’s name, gender, date of birth, email ID and phone number.
· Next, go to the ‘category’ section
· There is yet another drop-down where you have to choose from options like ‘individual’, ‘association of persons’, ‘body of individuals’, ‘company’, ‘trust’ and ‘limited liability partnership’. Select accordingly.
· Fill the necessary details, solve the captcha to prove you are not a robot and then hit the ‘submit’ button.
· The website will register your request and assign you a Token Number, which will be sent to the email ID that you provided in the form.
· Subsequently, you can click on ‘continue with PAN application form’.
· You will be given three options: submit digitally (paperless), submit scanned image, and forward application documents manually.
· Then, you are required to add PAN and Aadhaar details.
· When you are on the address and contact page, you will see your old address prefilled in the form.
· Type in your new address there
· You will have to provide proof of your new address.
· Afterwards, you will be required to sign the declaration stating the number of documents you have enclosed
· Once you have submitted the scanned copies of all the required documents, you will be given a preview of the form. Review it and click on ‘submit’.
· Then, payment of the fees needs to be done for correcting your address.
· An acknowledgement slip will be generated.
· Print this along with the hard copies of the documents of proof you had furnished and forward it to the NSDL e-Gov office.
· You need to attach a photo and sign across it
· Fold it and put it into an envelope, write ‘Application for PAN Change’ on your envelope
· Send it to this address – NSDL e-GovIncome Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016
How to change address in PAN card offline?
You will have to download a PAN correction form from the official website and also mail a letter to the Jurisdictional Assessing Officer. The form is the same as its online counterpart. Fill it and mail it. So now that you know how to change the address in the PAN card, you will face no hassles while doing it.
It is a simple procedure, just follow the instructions as they appear on the web page, and it will be done in no time.