PAN refers to Permanent Account Number – a 10-digit unique identification code/number, assigned to every entity conducting financial activities in India. It is used to keep track of financial transactions that are taxable in nature. Thus, besides serving as proof of identity, the PAN card helps the government keep tabs on tax evasion.
Why Update Details on PAN Card
The Government of India has mandated linking PAN Card to Aadhaar Card. However, if your PAN card details are not correct, your Aadhaar card will not be linked with it, and you might have to face problems due to this. Your PAN card might even be deactivated if you miss the deadline.
Since your PAN card serves as an official identity proof, incorrect/inaccurate information can lead to the authorities disapproving your applications.
Moreover, it may cause you trouble and inconvenience in the future while filing your income tax returns.
The slightest mistake or change in detail can have ramifications that you possibly may not expect. Some common mistakes or misprinted information on PAN card include name, address, date of birth, etc. Therefore, you must update your details on the PAN card upon encountering any mistake as early as possible.
How to Change DOB in PAN Card
The procedure to rectify or change Date of Birth in PAN card is simple and can be done offline or online. Both the procedures are explained in detail below.
How to Change DOB in PAN Card Online –
You can apply for PAN card DOB correction online following a few simple steps:
• Visit the NSDL portal and choose ‘Online Application for Correction or Changes to PAN Data’
• Select ‘Applicant’s Category’ – whether HUF (Hindu Undivided Family) or an individual
• Fill in the details in the mandatory field marked ‘*’
• Upload your documents and photos before hitting the ‘Submit’ button
• Make the payment using Demand Draft, Debit Card and Credit Card
• Keep note of the acknowledgement number, as you will need this to track your application status
• After completion of your PAN card DOB correction online procedure, take a print out of the application form and post it to the address mentioned on the portal along with required documents and affixed photo
Alternatively, the steps to fill out PAN correction form offline –
• Visit the official website of NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited).
• Select the option ‘Correction or Changes to PAN’ from the drop-down box under ‘Application Type’.
• Enter your personal details and choose ‘Submit’ after entering the CAPTCHA.
• Next, choose the verification mode for Address and ID Proof.
o Physical Acknowledgement: The printed application must be mailed to NSDL on the address mentioned on the portal along with your photo and documents.
o Adhaar based e-Sign: Upload your scanned photo and required documents. There is no need to mail the documents and PAN application to the NSDL office.
o Aadhaar based e-KYC: Choosing this option means all information recorded on Aadhaar will get transferred to you PAN details. You need not send photo or documents to NSDL. Your PAN card, once updated, will be delivered to the address mentioned on the Aadhaar card.
• Fill in the requested details on the following screens.
• Make sure all the details displayed on the screen are accurate before proceeding to the payment option.
• Once the payment is done, you will be provided with an acknowledgement number. If a company or HUF is making the application, then the signature of the authorized figure is needed. Before mailing the application and documents, ensure that the envelope has ‘Application for PAN Card Change Request’ written on top of it.
Documents Needed to Modify/Update PAN Details
You will need the following documents to validate your proof of identity, address and Date of Birth when you are looking for ways how to change DOB in PAN card –
• Aadhaar Card
• Driving License
• Pensioner Card
• Ration Card
• Electricity Bill
• Consumer Gas Connection
• Post Office Passbook
• Credit Card Statement
• Matriculation Certificate
• Birth Certificate
Your PAN card is an important ID proof and an essential instrument for performing all financial purposes. Any inaccuracy or wrong information in PAN card can leave you facing a lot of trouble. It is advisable that you fix these errors as soon as they come to your attention.