Employee Provident Fund or EPF is one of the best tools for developing a financial corpus for the future. In this scheme, a portion of the basic salary of the employee is deducted and is put into the EPF account. As per the governmental guidelines, the individual will accumulate interest on that amount. After retirement, the entire amount along with the interest is provided to the employee.
Some amount of money is transferred towards the EPS (Employees’ Pension Scheme), which provides insurance cover.
There are different ways through which you can check the amount in your EPF account.
PF balance check methods
As an employee, accessing the EPF account balance can be useful. It will help you to plan your monthly expenses properly because a part of your salary will be allocated to the EPF account. You will have to alter your spending habits accordingly. You can also opt for a loan against your EPF account.
The different EPF balance check procedures are as follows:
PF balance check by SMS
Once you are registered with the EPFO, you will be given a UAN (Universal Account Number) that is a 12-digit number. You have to link this number to your Aadhaar or PAN Card or the bank account details.
Once this is done, you can use this number to check the account balance in your EPF account. Follow the steps mentioned below:
• Send an SMS to the number 7738299899.
• The message format must be EPFOHO UAN ENG.
• ENG specified the language in which you want to receive the updates about your account. If you want to receive the information in any other language, then use the first three letters of the language. So, for a Bengali update notification, the message format will be EPFOHO UAN BEN.
• The facility is available for languages such as English, Marathi, Bengali, Hindi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada and Tamil.
PF balance check by missed call
Another easy way to check EPF account balance is to give a missed call at 011-22901406. You can do this by using the following steps:
• You have to give a missed call to 011-22901406 from the mobile number that is registered with the EPF account.
• An SMS will be sent to the mobile that will include all the current EPF account information.
You need to remember that the facility is only available if your UAN is activated. The UAN number needs to be linked to your bank account details, PAN Card and Aadhaar Card. In case you face any problem while linking, seek help from your company officials.
Using the Umang application for PF balance check
You can use the mobile application provided by the EPFO, called Umang, to check your EPF balance. Using the app, you can view your EPF passbook too.
• Download the application from the Android Play Store.
• Open the application on your mobile and click on ‘EPFO’.
• After that, click on the option ‘Employee Centric Services’.
• To check the balance on the EPF account, click on ‘View Passbook’.
• To do this, you need to login with your UAN. In the box that appears, enter the ‘UAN’ and select ‘Get OTP’. An OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number.
• Enter the OTP and hit ‘Login’.
• Select the member ID of your company.
• You will see the EPF passbook and the account balance.
By the EFPO portal
The check EPF balance online, you have to follow these mentioned steps:
• Go to the official website www.epfindia.gov.in.
• Under the ‘Our Services’ dropdown menu, click on ‘For Employees’.
• Then under the ‘Services’ menu, click on the ‘Member Passbook’ option.
• You will be taken to another page where you have to login with your password and UAN.
• When you have logged in, all the different member Ids that are linked to your UAN will be displayed. All your current and previous employers will be shown.
• Select the ‘Member ID’ of the current employer for which you need to check EPF balance.
• You will see the EPF passbook, which you can download in the form of a PDF file.
The facility is available if the employer activates your UAN. You will be able to view the passbook 6 hours after registering on the UAN portal. If any changes are made on your ID in the UAN portal, they will also be displayed after 6 hours.
However, this facility is not available for members who are exempted under the EPF Scheme of 1952. The facility cannot be availed if your account has been inactive for more than 36 months.
EPFO app for checking the balance
For this, download the EPFO m-sewa application from the Play Store. After downloading it, click on the ‘Member’ option and go to the ‘Balance/Passbook’ option. Then, enter your registered mobile number and the UAN.
After the verification of your UAN and the mobile number, your EPF balance details will be displayed.
Before you use the options mentioned above for checking the EPF account balance, make sure your account is activated. Also, make sure that the UAN is verified by the company and is linked to your PAN Card and bank account details.
This verification of UAN is important during the EPF withdrawal. If the PAN Card data is linked to the UAN, a TDS of 10 % will be deducted. If not, then the TDS of 34.6 % will be deducted.